On Thursday 25th May we attended a meeting at the Chamber of Commerce that was organised by Ayuntamiento de Arrecife and the Lanzarote Chamber of Commerce and the guest speakers were representatives from ASCAV.

The meeting was held to try and clarify the current situation in respect of holiday rentals in touristic areas. Of course nothing has changed as the Canarian Government is appealing to the Supreme Court and the process will take years.

However a number of important points were discussed and we recommended you follow the advice given.

It is important to remember that the very first step if you are not sure about the possibility of getting a license for your property is to go to your local Ayuntamiento and ask about the category of “suelo”, the type of land your property is in. If it is in an area where holiday letting is legal, you can then go to the Cabildo and continue the procedure by submitting the documents required. You also need to be Autonomo or a registered company.

Regarding tax you need to be registered and pay IGIC a good accountant can do this for you. Our LBRA accountant is DYE Consulting – Centro Comercial Atlantico, Local 64, Puerto del Carmen Lanzarote, Las Palmas 35510  Phone (0034) 928 510 122 (0034) 928 511 182 Email: dye@dyeconsulting.com

Regarding data protection: you need to get registered in the Agencia Española de Protección de Datos. https://www.agpd.es/portalwebAGPD/index-ides-idphp.php

Regarding Insurance: This is very important, you will need a special “Responsabilidad Civil Policy”. The ordinary ones will NOT cover the clients, so it is important to make sure the one you get covers non members of the family. Please speak with your insurance company to ensure you are using the correct one. Please be aware that not all the insurance companies supply the one you will need.

Full details of the meeting are in this report. http://www.lancelotdigital.com/lanzarote/las-verdades-sobre-la-vivienda-vacacional

We hope this has been of some help and will of course keep you updated. As mentioned above if you want to check if your property can be licensed your first step is to visit your Ayuntamiento, if you need help with this then please email us at lanzaroteba@gmail.com