Register on the padrón

If you are resident in Spain for more than three months, you must also register yourself on the padrón, which is a list of all the people who live in a certain town.

How you register

You register for the padrón at the local town hall by filling in the form they provide.

You do not need to own a property – you can register on the padrón if you are renting or live with others.

Take official identification with you such as:

  • a passport
  • your NIE or residence certificate / card
  • the deeds to your house or a copy of your rental contract
  • a recent utility bill in your name

Your town hall will issue you a certificado de empadronamiento. You may have to return to collect your certificate, but the authorities will complete your registration on the same day.

Some town halls may charge a small fee (for example 1.20 euros in Palma de Mallorca).

Benefits of padrón registration

Once you’ve completed the simple process, you can begin to enjoy all the advantages being on the padrón offers, such as:

  • access to public services and discounts
  • access to income-related benefits and social care
  • a reduction in taxes
  • discounted travel for residents on Spanish islands
  • voting rights in local elections
  • ability to register for local healthcare
  • enrol children in school
  • register a car with a Spanish number plate

More information can be found on Residentes Europeos website.

Padrón status checks

You must confirm your padrón status every 2 or 5 years in order to remain registered

If you have a certificate of residence your town hall will contact you every 5 years from the date you register to confirm that you still live in the town and wish to remain on the padrón.

If you don’t have a certificate of residence your town hall will contact you every 2 years.

Your town hall will remove you from the padrón register if they are unable to confirm you still live in the town.

You can check with your town hall to check your padrón register at any time.

For certain services (eg social services) you may be required to show a recent padrón certificate which is less than 3 months old. You can obtain this at your local town hall.